Monday, July 27, 2009

Warning: Eating carrot cake in the afternoon has the potential to ruin your appetite for dinner.

Hello all. 

I really have not been eating as many treats. But I ate a really good sugar crusted bagel with chocolate chip cream cheese (breakfast Sunday morning) and I really wanted one today. They were out. I was very disappointed actually. So I had 2 options: eat a cookie for 40 cents or carrot cake for $2.25. Well I was being greedy and went for the cake. What was really embarrassing was when I told Aura I wasn't very hungry at dinner and she asked if it was ice cream or cake that I had eaten. She knows me pretty well I guess (sheepish grin).

It has been a long time since I wrote last! I thought I wouldn't do this again. But I did. 

A couple of weeks ago I went to help Aura and her ladies group hand out food. Mostly it is to people who live far away in the mountains. In the morning I was recording weights and heights and in the afternoon I was doing the measuring and weighing. I had so much fun!!! Some of the kids were a little older (they had been at school in the a.m.) so I could talk to them. Some were pretty talkative. Two cousins approached me and chatted with me for a while. They were really cute! (of course) They were both 6 years old and one needed a little prodding from the other to be brave enough to talk to me. They each had a "boyfriend". I put that in parentheses as I really hope it wasn't true! One boyfriend was 8 and the other was 13. For pete's sake! No wonder they have babies at 13!! But I sure had fun with them. Another little girl was being measured and I said my standard Hi how are you. She said "good thank you". Thank you! I was so impressed!!!! I then told her I liked her sandals and she said thank you again! I could have taken her home then and there. I was talking to her mom and she is only 3 years old! She looked about 5 though. Weird. She didn't say  much more after that but I still loved her. 

By the end of the day my thighs were pretty sore from bending down and getting up again. Actually, the next day I had to lean pretty hard on the railing to get down the stairs they hurt so bad! At the time I thought "I should do lunges every day as I have already done the worst part" (always hurts the most after the first time). I will give you one guess as to whether or not that continued.

Last week I went to visit Ruth and her family. I always love going there. I have started to meet more people but it is so relaxing to be with someone who has known you for so long and doesn't care what you do or don't do. I read a lot of books. Sadly, the kids were sick (Sam mostly) and then Ruth had a really bad cold. I felt so bad for her. 

The first night I was there I arrived just in time for dinner (it was made and we just had to put it on the table. I have impeccable timing!) We had iced tea to drink (my first iced tea since being here and it was really good). I had poured myself a glass and we were all eating when Sam went into the kitchen. He was cutting a lime to put on his glass (as any well cultured 6 year old would). When he came back he had a glass for me as well! The limes here are much smaller so he had cut one in half, and then cut a slit in it to put in on the glass. So it wasn't just a slice it was half a lime. If my camera had been handy I would have taken a picture. It was so very cute!!

I am starting to meet new people. I am not to the point where I can stuff myself with popcorn and M&M's and lay on the coach moaning in the pain in front of the new people and feel okay with that but just give it time. It is so good to meet people who have been here for a while. I have so much to learn from them. 

I watched Mickey Blue Eyes this afternoon. I had forgotten how funny it is! My little brother used to do an impression of Hugh Grant trying to talk like a mobster. "Get outta hee". So funny!!!!!

Tomorrow I finally go to the malnourished kids house. I tried to go last week but it was so big I didn't know where to go. I met a girl at my school who is working there so she will show me around tomorrow. 

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment