Thursday, May 3, 2012

So much to write.

I am now on my own. My last day at Rehoboth was on March 30th. That day snuck up on me pretty fast! It was a hard day for me. I knew that I would miss seeing them every day. And I do.

They all surprised me with a special lunch on my last day. The food was some of my favorite and it was amazing!!! We all ate until we were stuffed. Then we had to take a break before eating the absolutely fantastic cake later on. The kids gave me cards they had made and I cried. Of course. :)

For the month of April, I was still in Guatemala but I had to change my focus to Treasures of God Children's Home instead of Rehoboth. It was a bit of a hard transition at first. It took me a couple of days to get it through my head that if I didn't do it, nobody was going to push me to do it!

I met with the social worker a few times about the paperwork on the home. We talked about the timeline, the types of children I will take in, their ages, what is required by the government in the house that I am going to rent, etc.

Now he is going to work on the paperwork while I am away in North America and e-mail me if there is anything he needs to know. I was so excited when I left his office after our last conversation 2 weeks ago. The Home is now official!

When I return I will form the Guatemalan board of directors and I will get the house ready. I will find a place to rent, get it up to government regulations, hire the staff (nannies, cook) and train them. We should be certified by March of next year! It is exciting to think about. I have a lot to do in the next year.

Right now I am in Pennsylvania visiting friends. I will be speaking to a Missions group at their church on Monday night. It will be my first time sharing about my vision and I am nervous and excited. I pray that God gives me the right words to speak.

In the mean time, I have been cooking and baking and helping out with their kids. I have been friends with this family for several years and a year and a half ago one of their sons Luke had a double lung transplant. They have 6 children at home and things get busy but fun! Several of them have medical needs. I have enjoyed helping out as well and being spoiled. I went through my first pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream in the first 30 hours of being here. :)

It is different being in North America again. A friend of mine from Guatemala wrote a blog that I read last night. She also recently arrived in the U.S. for a visit and I was impressed with how well she could articulate what I was feeling. Here is the link if you are interested. http://pat2gt.blogspot.com/2012/05/so-different-and-yet-same.html  The 3rd paragraph especially spoke to me. She writes "Some of the differences lead me to evaluate my own attitudes and priorities.  I think I’ve spent more on junk food here in one week than many Guatemalans spend to eat for a full month—and I think I’ve been pretty conservative.  I realize how much more I “want” when I am living, even for a short time, among people who have so much.  I find it is so easy to become seduced by the materialism and affluence I see all around me. " I always think that won't happen to me. But as I wander around the Target and Sam's Club, I found myself wanting more and more. To be honest, it was mostly candy. :) I am amazed at how many different types of candy there are now!

So please continue to pray for me. Pray that I make connections. Pray that the paperwork goes smoothly. Pray that during my time in North America I accomplish all that God wants for me.

1 comment:

  1. we will be praying for u and miss u bunches
    Great Blog soon u will have different pics of your
    and God's treasures :)love the gang from Rehoboth

    ReplyDelete