Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Miracle in the airport.

Last year, at the end of April, I had been in Canada for a few weeks and was stopping over in the U.S. to see some good friends of mine. We had FUN! I love their kids. I tried a new cinnamon bun recipe. It turned out to make "the goodest cinnamon buns ever" as declared by Luke.

We watched movies, did homework, played outside, went for dinner, danced, snuck me into a Crayola focus group and I even plugged up their toilet! P.S. Glen, I am still sorry I needed your help!
Carline and Luke kneading the dough.
Luke. At this point he had serious lung disease. Along with a whole host of other problems. He is the cutest and sweetest 9 year old I know. He is now 6 months post double lung transplant! With no sign of rejection!!! Praise God. His whole life has changed. If you want to read about them, their blog is http://www.cotaforlukem.com/blog. Really, they are an amazing family!
Carline making the icing.
How cute is this kid??!!??
How cute are we??!!??
Me with my "goodest cinnamon bus ever"!
Logan helped out with the icing too.
Yum!
About this point, Luke was ready to keep me forever!
I don't remember where Gregory was while we were making them, but I know he got in on the eating action. :)
As did Kiera, who was the youngest at the time.
It was a fun transition time for me. I wasn't worried about going back, which surprised me. I thought that I would get home and remember all the great things about living there and just want to stay there! As much as I had a fantastic time, I was ready to go "home" to Guatemala. That is when I knew I was legitimate. God had me down here for a reason and he put a desire in my heart to be among things that aren't necessarily comfortable, and yet so very rewarding and fulfilling.

My friends and family were so generous to me. I had 2 suitcases packed with stuff I had been given and needed. There are a few things that I can't get down here that I really do "need"! :)

Then I went to Heather's house. And they gave me more stuff! We went to a book store and Heather had a gift card and she said I could buy some books. Yay! I love books. She didn't tell me how much it was though so I thought I would choose 2 books. I ended up having 4 in my hand and I was asking her advice on which ones to pick. She made me pick them all! Wow, what a pushy friend she is.

We also did a Target run so I was filled to overflowing when I left.

I didn't get a chance to weigh my bags before I left the house but I knew they were overweight. They HAD to be. I had stuffed my carryon with a lot of stuff and it was so heavy but I was worried about my checked bags.

Glen ended up driving me to the airport that was over an hour drive away. And we left at 5 a.m. (P.S. Thanks Glen for getting up early and driving me so far!) When we got there, I got in the line up and almost right away was at the counter. Glen had gone to park the car and came in to make sure I was okay. Well, I was more than okay! The weight machine at my counter didn't work!!! And instead of lifting them 4 feet over to measure on the next scale, she just let them through! I was thrilled. It was a such a blessing for me. To have all this extra stuff that are luxuries for me, but not all necessary, and to be just waved through like that. I was so happy.

So happy in fact, that I wanted to share my joy with Glen. He is deaf. He had a cochlear implant so with that and reading lips I can communicate easily with him. Except I do have to raise my voice a little. So here I am, not wanting her to weigh my bags (which weren't on their way out yet) but wanting Glen to know about my miracle. So I turned away from the lady and tried to whisper really loudly so he would hear and she wouldn't. It mostly worked. She didn't hear, or if she did, didn't care, and Glen heard that the scale was broken but not that I knew my bags were overweight and I was successfully scamming the airline! Hee hee.

I am going to visit them again at the beginning of May on my way back from Canada. I look forward to seeing Luke withOUT oxygen. I have already been given my baking orders. :) I look forward to hanging out with all of those kids again. Last time I got roped into playing soccer with Gregory (I stunk at it. Still do) I cuddled with Carline and watched movies. I snuck in on Logan's crayola time. And just watched Kiera be hilarious. She is a bit wild. And now there is a new little girl for me to snuggle. I look forward to meeting Makayla. And just visiting with Heather. She promised to take me to the Melting Pot which is a fondue place. I get hungry just thinking about it!

Well, I meant to tell one small story and it kind of grew. I think I am de-stressing from a terrible afternoon of Math homework with our kids in grade 5 and 6. Whew.

Plus, you get 2 posts in one day! What a bonus! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment