Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The hard part.

This morning on facebook I saw a link to the blog of a missionary I met at a conference I went to in February. When I shared my vision with her of starting a home for kids with special needs she immediately replied, "can you start now?" She is a physiotherapist and has an outpatient clinic for kids and adults.

She began to tell me the story of a little girl. The story she shared this a.m. on the blog. http://journeyswithjennifer.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/jessicas-story/ She speaks of the little girl who went from a walking, talking little girl to one who can not even sit up on her own. This is a hard transition for any family let alone one who has very limited resources and limited education. In the villages, the belief is that a child who is "different" is either a punishment from God or completely the mothers fault. There is a huge stigma attached to having a child with special needs.

And my heart broke this morning. I know what God has called me to do. And I know His timing is perfect. But why can't I save this one little girl right now. Then I got to thinking. For every child I hear about in a desperate situation, there are hundreds more that I don't know about that are suffering. And hundreds more that I won't be able to save. So how do I choose? I want a home of only about 15 kids.

I have to know that what I am doing is helping those few more than I will ever fully understand, but what about the rest? That is the hard part.

No comments:

Post a Comment