Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Antoni and the chickens.

Last week on Thursday Antoni had the day off school. He just turned 8 and is talking even more than ever! We now have a speech therapist working with him once a week.

I don't normally collect the eggs from our chickens, but it so happens that the morning Antoni had off, we had to collect the eggs. I know he has never done this before but because he is so anxious to do anything "helpful" I quickly decided to take him with me.

We had a little chat about how we need to walk slowly and not get scared when the chickens get near us. We can't yell or frighten them. I wish I had a video for what happened next.

He opened the door and held it for me (he has become quite the gentleman lately and LOVES holding the door open for me). Then he said "Excuse me chickens" and started walking towards the eggs. Every time he had to move a step he said again "Excuse me chickens". Then at one point he was holding the basket and was still for a minute while I filled it with eggs. They started pecking at his feet. I admit it, it wigged me out too the first time it happened to me! Then he kept saying to them "Not my feet, not my feet chickens". Then he would say "Aunt Naomi, the chickens got my feet". All this time he was obviously uncomfortable but remembered we have to be kind to the chickens. But every time he said "excuse me chickens" I about died from the cuteness of it.

On the way back to the house he held the basket on his head like a good little Guatemalan! I just kept holding my breath and hoping he wouldn't drop and break any of the eggs.

I love that kid!
He was at the front of the church for us to sing Happy Birthday to him.
One day I was trying to get a good picture of the two of us together. Didn't happen, but then again, I got a kick out of him laughing so hard every time he saw his picture:
Take 1!
Take 2!
Take 3!
Forget it!

No comments:

Post a Comment