Monday, April 13, 2009

Antigua!

I am here. And I am on my own. And I ordered in a restaurant by myself and everything!!! (It helped that the menu had both Spanish and English and I pointed to the Spanish version of what I wanted while trying to sound it out. Does that count as being impressive?) 

I have found the coffee shop Renata and I went to last time we were here. It is a Christian coffee shop run by...... (drumroll please) English speaking people!!!!!!!! Yay! And if I buy 10 quetzales (less than 2 dollars) worth of treats then I can access their wireless internet for 2 hours!!!! Double yay. I get "free" internet but I have to buy treats to get it. Fantastic! I bought a rootbeer (they have rootbeer!) and a big soft chocolate chip cookie. Too bad I want to come here every day! Tomorrow it will be the brownie.  (I feel a little spoiled at how normal I feel)

On Saturday we drove to Antigua with a nice little lunch stop at Pollo Campero (Guatemalan version of KFC) Yay for greasy greasy chicken! I was dropped off at my host family and Mr Peters (who is trying to get to me say Les. Say it with me; Les, Les, Les. I have to practice because he was my principal when I was 10. Hard habits to break) left. I was feeling a little lost. My host mother took me through the house spouting a bunch of fast Spanish. The only thing I got from her was that there was hot water in the shower. Found out last night she exagurates. But it was bearable. For dinner that night I had some scrambled eggs (I think about 1 1/2 eggs) and 3 small pieces of plantane. I started to worry but I think it will be okay. Going to give it a few days. We had more for lunch today. 

Yesterday was a fantastic day. It started out way too early for me. 0530!!!! That is bedtime. I went to the restaurant and then headed to the central park. Was sitting there reading when I saw Les (I did it!) and his group walking by. They were far away but I thought it was fun to see someone I know. Then Jeremy (Les's son) and Julie (worked with the Peters last year and was visiting) saw me and came and sat down. I had been feeling sad that I wasn't going to church that day. It was Easter and Sunday is the most important day! But I didn't know where to go where there would be an English speaking one. Then Julie asked if my phone was ringing. I didn't think so because I didn't know anybody (and my old ears couldn't hear it). It was Gail and she had been trying to call me for a while. Invited me to church (Yay!). I was so happy. I felt like God was taking care of me. I thought it was going to be a long lonely day and God made it otherwise. 
At church were some other people I was hoping to run into at some point. Bob and Shirley Adams. Mr. Adams (Bob) was my principal before Les was. They invited me for Easter dinner. Gail and I went for lunch at a crepe place. The crepe was huge and so very very good! Definitely going back at some point! I then had to go for a nap (most of you saw that coming I am sure). We went out to the Adams and had a good visit and a good dinner. And cake! 

This morning I went for my first lesson. It went okay. I remember some things but she wanted to talk to much. I couldn't remember much and she was asking hard questions! Like "Why are you a Christian?" Well that is a hard one even in English! But I started learning the present tense conjugation. Have to study tonight. School is rough already! Well, I am over reacting a bit. I am not ready to explode yet. 

I have spent a long time writing this. I feel like maybe I am going overboard on details (although, to be fair I did not tell you about my diarrhea). So let me know if this is too boring. Nothing fun or funny has happened yet so I feel like this is all a little boring. 

Hope you all had a good Easter! 

I just tried to add a picture but I don't think it worked. Oh well. 

3 comments:

  1. Finally! You have a friend in a strange and forign country you want to hear what they are up to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny when it comes to food!!! We would get along well together. Enjoy your adventure with the Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so privelaged to be a part of your blog!

    ReplyDelete